10 Interesting Facts About Paper0
Posted on 16th March 2018 by Emily
Filed under Papermill Direct News
1. Paper is almost 2000 years old, it was invented by the Chinese around 105 A.D. and was kept a secret for many years.
2. Not all paper is made from wood, it can also be made from scraps of cloth and pieces of hemp material.
3. Our English word “paper” is derived from the word “papyrus“, in Egyptian.
4. A pine tree can produce about 80,500 sheets of paper.
5. 70% less energy is needed to recycle paper and reuse it compared to making it from raw materials
6. 67% of the paper and cardboard used in the UK is recycled.
7. In the UK we use paper sizes based on the A-series, in the US where instead they most commonly use Letter sized sheets of paper.
8. The largest sheet of handmade paper measures 14.95 m x 10 m and was made by the students of Colegio Salesiano Don Bosco de Ypacaraí (Paraguay) in Ypacaraí, Paraguay, on 7 August 2015.
9. Paper came to Europe via Arab traders who learned its secrets from the Chinese.
10. Paper is one of the few truly sustainable products.