“Passed” Cake Topper0
Posted on 15th October 2022 by Samantha Burrow
Filed under Handmade Cake Toppers
1. Open Cricut Design Space and start by inserting image ID M43F1B, small car image. In the Layers Panel un-hide all the elements of the image. In the Action Panel click ungroup to separate all the elements of the image.
Change the colour of the car front to your chosen car colour, keeping the other two elements grey and black.
2. Create a duplicate of the grey car element, change the colour to a lighter grey and in the Action Panel click Contour. Remove the car outline so you are left with just the window.
3. Create a duplicate of the black car element and click Contour. Remove the window outline so you are left with a solid car shape.
4. Now you might want to reorder the five car elements so you can see how they will fit together.
5. To make the little L and P plates insert a rounded corner square. Change the colour to white, adjust to your chosen size.
6. In the Edit Panel, click Offset and using a distance of 0.1”, change the colour of the new offset shape to black.
7. Select both rounded squares together and create a duplicate so you have two in total.
8. Click the text function and type “L P”, change the font to Bank Gothic Std Light. Click offset again, using a distance of 0.2 with squared corners.
9. Delete the original text and change the “L” colour to red and the “P” to green. Adjust the size to fit inside the rounded squares.
If you want to create a “torn L plate” look, you need to slice the L Plate shapes with a torn paper image. This is a little extra detailed work but worth it for the effect of those torn learner plates. Delete the black rounded square, you will recreate this later when the white rounded square has been “torn”.
10. Start with inserting image ID M45E16, a ripped out page image. With the image selected, click on contour and remove the holes.
11. Place the image over the L Plate and rotate to your desired angle. Create a duplicate of the ripped out page image and align them central to each over.
12. Duplicate the L image, with that selected and one of the ripped out page images, click slice from the Action Panel. Delete the sliced images except for the one with the back of the L. Click on contour to remove the end of this L image.
13. Select the two L images (one is half of the original L, the other is a whole L). Click slice again and delete the excess slices so you have two halves of your L remaining.
14. Now you need to repeat those steps (10-13) for the white rounded square.
Duplicate the white rounded square.
Select one square image and the remaining ripped out page together and slice.
Delete all the slices except the torn white square. Select contour and remove the right hand half of the shape.
Select the half white square and the original white square together and click slice. Delete the excess slices, leaving the two halves of the rounded plate.
15. Click on the left side of the torn white square and click offset. Using a distance of 0.1” and rounded corners, click done to create the offset. Repeat this step for the right side of the torn white square.
16. Change the offset image to black and adjust the order of your pieces so you can see the L on the front.
17. When you’re happy with your design and layout, click make it to move to the cutting stage. Follow the on screen instructions to complete the cut.
Stick the white squares to the black rounded squares and stick the L and P on top. Then stick the car pieces together in this order:
Black Car (solid)
- Using a hot glue gun or strong adhesive tape, stick the car and plates to the wooden sticks and push down into your cake.